Search My Blog! :-)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Awesome Bread I May Have Mentioned

So this is the bread I may or may not have been hinting at all week. It was my first time making it in a while. ( my mom usually makes it) It was easy and fun, just make sure you don't overcook it! Mine came out a little burnt and dense, but the flavor was all there. Remember the stove I may have mentioned? If I didn't mention it yet, we just got a new Frigidaire Gallery gas range. It is awesome, what with its convection oven, but it is hard getting used to such a nice new oven. Not some bogus white 80's oven. YUCK! Ingredients: 1/4 c. Sugar 2 T. Yeast 1 c. Milk 1 c. Water 5-6 c. All-purpose flour 1/4 c. Oil 2 t. Salt Make: Mix sugar and yeast in your mixer or bowl. Then scald your milk. I did mine in the microwave at 1 min. 40 sec. The pour room temp water into your milk and pour into yeast mixture. Let proof. (It should get all poofy and take about 6min.) Then mix in your flour. NEVER mix in salt first! This will kill your yeast and your bread will not rise. I have a heavy hand so I only use 5 c. Of flour but you can use 6 if it is too sticky. Mix in oil and salt. Then roll into a ball on a hard surface. Drizzle some oil in your bowl to coat it so it won't stick and place your ball back in. Let rise for 50 min. Then empty onto a hard surface and cut in half. Then in half again. Then in half again. Then make sure you have a baking sheet with parchment paper on it ready for your rolls. Then start twisting your rolls.
Step 1: roll into a long rope like, snake like, strand.
Step 2: cross into a ribbon.
Step 3: pull one strand through the hole and kind of tuck the other strand under and smooth the bottom.
Step 4: let them rise for 20 min. In a warm oven. The bigger they get the better they will be so don't worry about letting them rise longer. When they are done rising take them out of the oven. Give them an egg wash while your oven heats up. Throw them in at 345°convection oven temp for 20 min. Until golden.
Step 5: eat and enjoy! Happy eating! T.T.F.N.-Becca

2 comments:

  1. Could you ship me a few of those?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those breads look delicious! Sofia and I will be trying those out soon

    ReplyDelete