Search My Blog! :-)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fig Newton's

It's to good to be true. HOMEMADE FIG NEWTON'S!! This is what I thought when I saw the post on Brown Eyed Baker. I love fig Newton's but sadly don't get to eat it much because of how processed it is. So biting into this cookie(?) made me call to mind summer, road trips, and the smell of Oklahoma air in the summer time. ( Does that make me sound crazy??)
(You know the part where you miss Oklahoma summers? )

Fig Jam:
1/2 lb. Of Figs (I used Turkish)
2 c. Apple Juice
One pinch of salt

Put all ingredients in a pan and set over medium heat. Stir occasionally for fifteen to twenty minutes until soft and syrupy. Then allow to cool. Next process in a food processor. Empty into a jar to store.
You can use this not only for the fig Newton's but also as a regular jam.

Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker
Fig Newtons
All of your Fig Jam
1 1/4 c. All purpose flour
1/2 t. Baking powder
1/4 t. Salt
6 T. Unsalted butter
3/4 c. Brown sugar
1 egg at room temp
2 t. Vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350°. Then begin by lining a 8 inch square baking pan with parchment. Grease the parchment.
Then combine flour,powder,and salt.
Mix sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.
Then beat in egg and vanilla.
Stir in flour mix.
Place all but 3/4 c. Of dough into the pan and spread evenly.
Bake until just golden-20 min. Roll the remaining dough into a 8inch square between 2 sheets of greased parchment.
Place in freezer for 30 min. Then spread fig mix over crust and top with frozen dough. Bake 25-30 min. Cool 2 hrs.
Or eat them to "see if they are good" right away:)

2 comments:

  1. These looks delicious! And I'm a high school student too; I love meeting other young foodies (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry just got around to responding to my comments.glad to meet a fellow Foodie! Your blog looks awesome!

      Delete