Search My Blog! :-)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Daring Cooks Challenge: February

So I knew just what I was going to do when I heard what the challenge was for this month. We where supposed to make a fried patty. We could make whatever we wanted as long as it had a binder and it was fried in oil. Awesome right?? So I knew I was making a veggie Burger. My Tia (aunt) also took part in the challenge and she made her famous potato patties. I will also post her pics and recipe. Why don't we start with hers?

Tortas de papas:
Step 1: boil 2 to 3 potatoes for each person. Add plenty of salt. Boil until fork tender. If you boil the potatoes with the skin on she finds they come out more flavorful.

Step 2: Chill and peel your potatoes. Add 1 1/2 c. Of Cotija cheese. You can substitute with parmesan cheese if needed. Add 3 eggs and 1/2 a cup of green onions. Mix until well blended.
Spoon mixture into a frying pan with about one inch of oil and fry until golden brown, turning once.
After frying drain on a paper lined plate and let rest for 3 min. Serve with lettuce, sour cream and salsa.
Hope you enjoyed her recipe! I know I want to try! *YUM*
Now my dish I did this month was one I found in Washington post. This recipe is for a black bean burger. It was delicious! I served it with burger toppings and BBQ sauce. (I know weird) And I made some sweet potato fries for the side.( I will post later) I loved the taste of this burger and the coloring. It was super easy to make. I cut the original recipe in half and it made 3 patties. So I have more in the freezer. :)
Please excuse the lighting. It barely snowed here in Oklahoma and it was awfully gloomy outside.

Black Bean Burgers
Adapted from Washington Post's "spicy black bean burgers"
2 c. Cooked and drained black beans
1/4 c. Bread crumbs
1 egg
2 scallions
2 T. Cilantro
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 t. Cumin
1 t. Oregano
A few sprinkles of red pepper flakes
1/2 t. Salt
Sprinkle of black pepper

Put most of your black beans into a food processor and pulse until chunky. Then add all the rest of your ingredients into the food processor and pulse until mixed. Form into patties and chill for fifteen minutes. When ready to cook remove from fridge and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a frying pan on high heat with just enough oil to coat the bottom. Then place the patty on the skillet and cook for 4 min. On first side. Then flip over and cook for 5 min. over medium heat.
Eat with whatever toppings you want:)
Makes 3 Burgers.

2 comments:

  1. The black bean burger sounds gorgeous! And I love bbq sauce btw, you're not weird! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!!! Hope you make your summer goal!

      Delete